Monday, October 06, 2014

Corollary: The butterfly / Corol·lari: La papallona

There's a butterfly rambling around my house. I hardly ever see butteflies in my hometown, and when I do they're normally small and white or pale yellow. This one's different, though. It's black and quite big, with white spots and an vivid orange lining on the wings. It comes and goes, and I see it every so often. Sometimes it's every two weeks, sometimes every month, and some other times I see it two or three days in a row. And of course it disappears during the coldest months of the winter. I know for a fact it can't always be the same: as far as I know butterflies live weeks, months at most. And still there's been one of such black butterflies in front of my house for the last two to three years. I don't know how many eggs do butterflies lay. They're probably a lot, but I always see just a lone butterfly. I've just seen it now, from my balcony, flying around at the beginning of October. I hadn't seen any for the last months, and although I didn't miss it I've felt a relief of some sort when I've looked down and I've seen a black and orange spot going up and down the street.

Thinking of what I wrote yesterday... No. The butterfly doesn't mean anything. Anything at all. Signs and symbols in life are even rarer in real life than they are in works of art. I just think it's a coincidence, something I'm lucky enough to see and to appreciate. Beauty is just this: beauty. And we should be more than content as it is. I don't want to make a message out of it, I tend to dislike people who are always talking about enjoying the little things. But I also find pleasure and comfort in it, at least from time to time. And I hope I'll keep on seeing a black butterfly in front of my house when I walk in or out.



Hi ha una papallona donant voltes al meu bloc. No veig gaires papallones a la meva ciutat, i quan en veig normalment són petites i blanques, o d'un groc apagat. Però aquesta és diferent. És negra i bastant gran, amb taques blanques i una franja d'un taronja intens al voltant de les ales. Va i ve, i la veig de tant en tant. A vegades és un cop cada dues setmanes, a vegades un cop al mes, i algunes altres vegades la veig dos o tres dies seguits. I, és clar, desapareix durant els mesos més freds. Sé segur que no pot ser sempre la mateixa: pel que sé les papallones viuen setmanes, mesos a tot estirar. I així i tot hi ha hagut una d'aquestes papallones negres a davant de casa meva durant els darrers dos o tres anys. No sé quants ous pon una papallona. Probablement són moltíssims, però sempre veig només una papallona. L'acabo de veure ara mateix, des del balcó, voleiant a principis d'octubre. No n'havia vist cap des de fa mesos, i tot i que no la trobava a faltar he sentit una mena d'alleujament quan he mirat avall i he vist una taca negra i taronja pujant i baixant pel carrer.

Pensant en el que vaig escriure ahir... No. La papallona no significa res. Res de res. Els signes i els símbols són encara més rars a la vida que a les obres d'art. Crec que només és una coincidència, una cosa que tinc la sort de poder veure i apreciar. La bellesa és només això: bellesa. I hauríem d'estar més que satisfets amb això. No vull convertir això en un missatge de cap mena, normalment la gent que sempre parla de gaudir de les petites coses em desagrada. Però jo també hi trobo plaer i reconfort, encara que sigui de tant en tant. I espero seguir veient una papallona negra davant de casa quan n'entro o en surto.

No comments:

Post a Comment