Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Note: On Simultaneous Projects / Nota: Dels Projectes Simultanis

There goes a question I've asked myself lots of times: Why am I always doing so many things? Wouldn't be much easier to me to focus on one thing at a time? I've got two main reasons not to do that. The first one's essentially practical: When you start a project you never know if you're going to finish it. You may abandon it halfway through because you realise it's not worth the effort, or it may just crumble and fall by itself. So the more things you work in the better the odds. To an extent, of course. As simple as that, or at least this is how I see it. The second reason's got more do do with the creative process. Unless I got myself trapped on a creative high, I tend to struggle to work on the early stages of a project -the ones requiring more creativity and less craftmanship- if I'm not inspired. Using "inspired" as in "not in the best mood to approach this endeavour with the optimal outcome". When this happens, however, instead of keeping on working on the same thing -except of course if I must- I switch to another project. As they usually are on various stages of development, they might require different sets of skills, or maybe my state of mind suits better with their topics and tone and I'm just going to work more and better on it. And even if I leave a project aside for a while, it's always good to do it every so often so you can look at it again with a fresh mind and new ideas to improve it.



Hi ha una pregunta que m'he fet moltes vegades: Com és que sempre estic fent tantes coses? No seria molt més fàcil concentrar-me en una cosa a cada moment? Tinc dues raons bàsiques per a no fer-ho. La primera és essencialment pràctica: Quan comences un projecte no saps si l'acabaràs. Pot ser que l'abandonis a la meitat perquè t'adones que no val la pena, o bé que s'ensorri per sí sol. O sigui que com en més coses treballis, millors probabilitats. Amb un límit, és clar. És així de simple, o al menys és com ho veig jo. La segona raó té més a veure amb el procés creatiu. A no ser que em trobi atrapat en un "cego" creatiu tinc tendència a que em costi posar-me en les fases inicials d'un projecte -les que requereixen més creativitat i menys artesania- si no estic inspirat, utilitzant "inspirat" com a "no en el millor humor per trebalar aquest projecte amb els resultats òptims". Quan em passa això, en comptes de seguir dedicant-me al mateix -excepte si hi he de fer per força, és clar- canvio a un altre projecte. Com que normalment es troben en etapes diferents del seu desenvolupament, demanen habilitats diferents, o potser el meu estat mental encaixa millor amb els tema i el to i hi treballaré més i millor. I fins i tot si deixes un projecte de banda durant un temps, és bo fer-ho de tant en tant perquè després puguis tornar-hi amb la ment fresca i noves idees per millorar-lo.

No comments:

Post a Comment